Rafael Nadal has been dealt another setback just days out from the US Open, with news his pregnant wife Xisca Perello has been rushed to hospital.
Reports in Spain state that Xisca remains in a private clinic room in Palma, after being taken to hospital there while 31 weeks pregnant.
Diario de Mallorca is reporting that the 34-year-old could potentially undergo surgery within the next 24 hours, if doctors recommend that course of action.
Xisca is at a crucial stage of her pregnancy and will remain under observation as a precautionary measure.
It’s understood Xisca’s parents have been by her side at the hospital, with Nadal’s sister Maribel also travelling to offer her support.
Nadal is in New York preparing the US Open, which gets underway at Flushing Meadows on Monday.
The Spaniard took part in a pre-US Open exhibition event on Wednesday night alongside Coco Gauff, Iga Swiatek, and other tennis stars, with the event raising more than $1 million in humanitarian assistance for Ukraine.
Last month, tennis fans were treated to their first proper look at Xisca’s baby bump, following Nadal’s announcement that they were expecting their first child.
Rumours had been swirling in the lead-up to Wimbledon that Perello was pregnant, and Nadal confirmed the wonderful news in a pre-tournament press conference.
“If everything goes well, I’m going to be a father,” he said.
“I’m not used to talking about my private life. We live more peacefully with a lower profile. I don’t expect that my life will change much with it.”
In July, Nadal and Perello attended a concert for Colombian singer Sebastian Yatra in the tennis star’s hometown of Mallorca.
The singer posted a photo on his Instagram story after a behind-the-scenes catch-up with Nadal and some of his family, with one photo clearly showing Perello’s baby bump.
It was the first photo to emerge on social media that showed Perello’s bump since Nadal’s announcement.
The couple are reportedly having a baby boy, due to arrive in October.
Rafa Nadal aiming for 23rd major at US Open
Nadal’s preparations for the US Open were also dealt a blow earlier this month when he suffered a shock loss to Borna Coric at the Cincinnati Masters.
The Spaniard was beaten in his first match since pulling out of the Wimbledon semi-final showdown against Nick Kyrgios due to an abdominal injury.
Nadal had been hoping to get as many matches under his belt as possible after returning from his abdominal injury, but is now well short of competitive action before beginning his bid for a fifth US Open title and first since 2019.
“I need to improve,” Nadal said afterwards.
“I need to practise. I need to return better. I need days, and that’s the truth. It’s obvious that I was not ready enough to win the match today.
“(It) has been a difficult injury to manage. The last month and a half haven’t been easy.
“I need to move forward and just start to think about the energy that the crowd gives me in New York.
“I know it’s a very special place for me… unforgettable moments there, and I’m going to try my very best every single day to be ready for that.”
Speaking about his chances at the US Open, Nadal added: “In terms of New York, it’s a grand slam, a different kind of tournament.
“I was only able to play two sets before this match in the last 40 days.
“I know that to gain condition. I will have to (be) on the tour practicing with the guys (other players).”
Nadal won the US Open in 2010, 2013, 2017 and 2019.
If he can triumph again in 2022 he would become the first man ever to win 23 grand slam titles and extend his lead even further over Novak Djokovic (21) and Roger Federer (20).